TSUBA IDENTIFICATION Gold Inscription Masanobu and Kao seal

yogoro

Hi,I couldn't find this Kao in my books (Joly,Kinko Meikan,Baur Coll.,...).I found a note about Nr.264 (in red on the Tsuba) of the Fahrenhorst Collection with both Mei and Kao in gold.This Tsuba (motif:different leafs) was sold in 1968 at Lempertz/Cologne/Auction Nr.500.I do have no pic.Ludolf

I have to agree with milt, looks like a later add-on or "attribution"

to Masanobu of the Bushû-Itô-branch. He is listed in "Sôken-kishô"

(装剣奇賞, publ. 1781) as signing with kaô. Probably this kaô was

made just to look like a kaô.

See also Tôken-bijutsu 12-2006 (599), page 20.

BTW: Regarding the attribution, motif respectively workmanship

could match.

An attribution to a third class tsubako makes no sense,esp.without his family name (Shoami/Ito/Inoue/Haruta/Kaneko/Ki/Okabe/Okamoto and others with these Masanobu Kanji),when there are several artists with that very name.There are no examples in the literature,where someone inserted a name on an unsigned Tsuba other than for faking purposes!Different from that question are the Goto classifications,when a later Goto master made a statement on a Tsuba with his name,that this Tsuba was made by a specific earlier Goto master.Ludolf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..