Sold a navy dirk

Hi

I sold a latewar navy dirk to a buyer in Chezh republic.

When the buyer recived it , he mailed me with pictures of the dirk.

The handle pommel cap was missing??????? I clued it on some weaks ago with super glue. It was mounted when shipped.

The crossguard was broken, since its made of celluiod its a brittle matrial.

Dirk was wrapped in bubblewrap and shipped in a cardboardbox made to ship swords but shortend.

I think buyer tryed to see if nakago was signed and removed the pommel cap , but it broke. And hitting the seppa too lose tsuka , crossguard brok.

He was trying to take it apart.

Im my world its not possible and its not signed.

He wanted a pay back , but more than he had payed.

Parcel has not been open by customs or postal service he claims. Parcel was not broken or damage.

The dirk was a sale for one of my friends and not from my collection.

The first picture is mine from the auction. Please notice pommel cap is anothermtype than normally seen.this was stated in auction.

52939a323b4a42a919aae28e96c6f2fe_zps8759e258.jpg

This is buyers picture.

36a84c84e7db737ef72006e3c28cd6d6_zpsd456bd66.jpg

Anyone ended up in a situation like this?

I saw this tanto in person a couple days before end of auction and pommel cap was there and guard was intact.

The buyer obviously lies or package has been opened by customs. But the question is how to handle this issue?? Anybody who have tried something similar? -What did you do?

This make me angry :steamed:

In a situation like this. Ebay will side with the buyer if they open a dispute. You need to attempt to nicely let them know that you obviously know they broke it. Offer them a partial refund. If they refuse, offer to refund them less 10% and paypal fees, shipping both ways etc. if they ship it back to you and offer to cancel the transaction on ebay( so you don't pay fees). Usually this should discourage a return. If it doesn't.. Well it's better to have the item back than a forced refund by paypal and no item.

Top pic....guard looks broken and glued? Or just the pic...?

Difficult situation. Have a record of the witness statement that the tanto was ok a day or 2 before. Ask for photos of any damage to the package, and if none, then the damage happened after.

Brian

Tell the buyer you cannot give him a refund until the item is returned (recorded delivery). Hopefully then he will send it back. In the meantime phone ebay and give them your side of the story and tell them you will happily give the buyer a refund when the item is returned. When you recieve the item back then you can argue your case with the buyer/ebay or give the buyer a refund. If you dont get the item back then its double trouble as ebay will refund the guy anyway.

Alex.

There are no damage to the carboard box.

The crossguard are celluiod with metal plateing. It has a repair and stated in auction. But it was not broken like that.

The missing pommel cap is a mystery too me , it was on when shipped.

Parcel wasnt opend until he got it.

I guess this is the risk level involved in shipping delicate goods to someone who possibly does not know how to handle such goods. I would offer the refund. But definitely get the transaction cancelled on ebay before the refund is given and also mention that shipping is the buyers responsibillity (both ways). Have him/her agree to at least those terms.

It can be a nightmare shipping abroad, make sure your returns information is crystal clear, some folk i know photograph everything before posting. Some countries i do not ship to now due to parcels going missing, its as though they go by route of the Bermuda Triangle :bang:

KM

Strange the change in stand between buyer and seller. When buying everyone on the board says only buy from someone with a return policy and dont buy from anyone who has a no return clause. Now you are recommending the exact opposite approach when selling. do you think this might given the impression of Dual standards :?

Hahahaha I must say you are right. However, I do not sell pre-WWII antiques nor Japanese swords on ebay.

Of course if there are real problems with an item a refund would be in order as well as the return!! of the damaged item.

And that is what often happens. Refunding an item which is never returned. Nice covert way to get free stuff. :bang:

Never pay unless the item is returned first

And never send an item unless its paid for.

But, talking from experience, I have had my share of losing money on Ebay by buying things, never receiving them

or receiving them damaged. I was defrauded with a Samurai Helmet, a WWII Flak Helmet and some other bits and

pieces and Ebay NEVER sided with me, nor did PayPal. Must be said, the fraudulent sellers were removed from ebay

and the guys behind the Samurai helmet scam were arrested (after I got the FBI/Interpol involved through IC3).

I do not believe in any online form of buyer protection or even seller protection.

When buying (not ebay) a Japanese lacquerware set which arrived damaged though it was insured

both the French and the Dutch Postal agencies refused to pay out because it "was not their fault"

and : "it must have happened at the airport".

KM

..............set which arrived damaged though it was insured

both the French and the Dutch Postal agencies refused to pay out because it "was not their fault"

and : "it must have happened at the airport".

KM

I had a similar siuation with a Tsuba and a lacquerware here in Austria :bang:

I think of the buyer trying to take dirk apart and it broke.

It was the brittle type of navy dirks latewar and not possible to take apart without ruin it.

Its strange that the kashira was missing??????? Dirk was wrapped inside bubblewrap and couldnt fall out ,impossible.

Sure things can be damage under shipping ,but things cant just dissapear.

No such thing as a no returns on ebay, if i buy something and it isnt as described, its going back, no matter what the return policy is....The only way a seller can get round this is if the desciption is meticulously accurate, and in that case there shouldnt be a reason for a return.

Alex

Got this mail from buyer :

Hi

First, as long as you do not send money back to what we continue to entertain.I'm really not crazy, I send you back the dagger, and had nothing from you.

Especially if you are not going to accept that as I really do not assume that a single mistake!

Also, do not really know why I believe you when you state at an auction, it is a genuine Japanese ordinal dagger.

While it is a replica, either from China or Taiwan.It was from your first scam!

That came mostly incomplete and destroyed them from you scam the other!!

And that they do not have the audacity to say that I perhaps destroys it, is the third scam!!!

I'm glad that you keep copies of messages from me and from you.At least I can see how I must beg you to answer me at all.

I really have to believe that you are sending the dagger in order.If you are going to approach this problem as yet, it is not worth anything further addressed.

Right I turn to eBay, and you will do a negative comment.If you want to send back the dagger, send $ 250, otherwise it is in solving eBay.

If you do not respond by tomorrow, I proceed on eBay.

Im sorry to say but its a lost battle already! I sold a sword and stated it had shinae and a lot of other issues. I had emeails between the buyer and myself where he states he was aware of the issues and still he was able to return it and I had no say..

I was flat out told by a manager at Paypal when I confronted the one sided resolution approach they take and was told its not set up to be fair to the sellers. Since the sellers are the minority, I assume they will always side with the buyers!

I hope Im wrong..

Gabatte!

Yes!

Well, so Ebay must have a copy of your auction showing no missing pommel and good condition dagger (I hope they did not cancel everything once the auction ends).

So if you can show to Ebay that the buyer stated in his message nobody except him opened the parcel, and also the photos he sent you with missing part and damaged dagger, I see no reason why Ebay would not beleive you say the truth and him a lie.

Thomas.. Paypal will not credit the buyer back unless he returns the item first. Don't surcome to his threats of money first then "dagger". Have him ship it back to you and when you get it back refund him less shipping costs. Tell him shipping both ways is his responsibility. If you don't do anything, paypal WILL side with the buyer and you will lose both your item (which you can repair again and resell) and the money. Regardless of what "proof" you can muster up through conversations- The odds are 99% you will lose in any dispute with paypal or ebay.

Your only advantage at the moment is that he needs to ship back to you in order to get a refund. Even if he files a chargeback outside of paypal, you can dispute that with a tracking number.. You need to focus on one thing. Salvage the transaction and get back whatever of your costs you can ie. Broken item, shipping costs, and ebay fees. The rest is already lost.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..