Sukashi motiff?

Brian

Hi all,

I have been pondering over the motif of this sukashi for a while now. On first examination, it is easy to conclude that there are a few parts that are broken off or missing, but close examination of the sukashi does not make this obvious. It is very possible, but even with some extra links in there, I am unsure of what it represents? Of course the ume blossom part seems fairly obvious, but what is this combined with?

Thanks,

Brian

tsu01.jpg

tsu02.jpg

Doh!...I should have gotten the sakura vs ume :D

Too quick when looking at the various mon designs instread of thinking a bit further. Ume does have rounded petals. Doesn't the sakura usually have 2-lobed petals though, where this has 3?

Thanks Pete.

Brian

Thanks Koichi :)

Am I correct that karahana is a Chinese flower? Looks to me like this is the one.

Does this tsuba look a bit awkward with the large sukashi like this? Doesn't come across to me as simple and elegant as some I have seen.

Brian

Am I correct that karahana is a Chinese flower? Looks to me like this is the one.

According to the explanation on the ref. page;

Karahana (唐花) does not mean any specific flowers but only an imaginary flower with the taste of Tang. Its original motif came from the Tang Dynasty and was already used in Nara period in Japan.

Hi all, I did a bit of poking around and looking through Sasano's book Japanese Sword Guards Masterpieces, think this lower part of the motif is known as Hanabishi or Flower Lozenge. Sasano says that this motif was cherished by the samurai and often used in family crests and displayed on weapons and armour.

I think this is a mid Edo period tosho style tsuba mimicking the older guards. I also agree with Pete and others in that the top section is a snowflake. It may be just a general theme of flowers fallen on snow.

I have attached an image of Tosho and Katchushi tsuba from the book.

Cheers

Rich

Edit: I just found this at E-sword also. By Toda Hikozaemon, described as snow flake and flower I think at first glance.

http://www.e-sword.jp/sale/0710_6045syousai.htm

post-5-14196737774966_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..