Yajiri/Yanone markings

All,

In a small batch of arrow heads (yajiri or yanone..I'm never sure which is the correct term) I recently acquired, there were a few signed ones, and a few with other markings on the tangs. I am not sure what this represents, as it does not look like a mei to me.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? I have one that has a clear mei on the blade, and also these markings on the tang...so this leads me to believe they are something other than a signature?

Regards,

Brian

Dsc00040.jpg

Hi Brin

The writing is katakana and I think it reads "MA SA N SA" (マサンサ). Not sure about the the third character n / ン as it could be fu / フ

(MA SA FU SA?) or maybe something else.

As for the meaning I have no idea but katakana these days usually has a connection with things foriegn....

Thanks Henry :)

I had a feeling it may have been katakana, but ruled it out because I had not seen it used before, and forgot Ockhams Razor again :D

Yes..looking up the katakana tables, I see it does say Masafusa.

Now the question is why is this signed with a name in katakana, and if this was ever done as a signature or is this more modern?

I do pull up a reference that old personal names were sometimes written in katakana, but don't know if this relates to signatures on jajiri or not.

Perhaps something to do with the very limited space available to sign on?

Hmm...puzzling.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..