Kunihiro? -No, Kanenaga

benkyoka

Hello everyone! I have been reading this forum for awhile (hopefully learning as I go) and decided to register to solicit some opinions and information.

I recently received a Nihonto from my Japanese wife's uncle. (when he heard about my interest in Nihonto he gave me one for a birthday present. Ya, I am too lucky.)

He told me it was by a swordsmith named Kunihiro. He mentioned that the smith was a second generation of Kunihiro. I have taken some pics and am hoping you knowledgeable people here can give me more information on the smith and the sword, if possible.

I look forward to your replies!

I apologize for the poor picture quality.

post-399-14196737712504_thumb.jpg

post-399-1419673771533_thumb.jpg

post-399-14196737927074_thumb.jpg

Hi Mr Benkyoka,

We lack data about your sword (over all length, nakago length, distance between the 2 mekugi ana) it seems it is O suriage, from the picture it looks like there is a high shinogi but I can be misraken by my eyes.

The Nakago colour seems to indicate a much older sword than WWII.

The Kanji uses for Kane is the on from Yamato school.

Kanenaga is a famous lineage of Tegai, one of the five Yamato schools

Refer to the following link :

http://www.nihonto.com/fwb8.html

For more information have a look at Bob Cole site (outstanding)

http://www.sho-shin.com/yam8.htm

Hi Benkyoka,

Does appear to be a nice sword, and definitely a lovely gift. I would think it to be well before WW2, but will let other more knowledgeable collectors expand on this.

Btw..please remember to sign your posts with your first or last name as per the rules. You have a very decent father in law :)

Regards,

Brian

Hi Benkyoka,

I have seen the Nagasa length on the torokusho but not the total blade length ....

The best thing is to fill in the form at Dr Stein's website and give the distance between the 1st and Third Mekugi ana.

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Esteinrl/swrdinv.htm

I take this opportunity to ask all NMB members (hoping Brian does agree) when requesting an opinion (mine is unworthy), to attach this Inventory sheet which is quite exhaustive and attached 4 pictures of the blade, unless your picture are as good as Darcy's one :

- Nakago close-up picture

- kissaki close-up picture

- whole blade picture

- a close up picture of the monouchi

:o :o :o

Thanks for those links! I took the sword out (locking my cat and wife out of the room) and did some amateur measuring

Total length is 84.6cm, nagasa is 66.2cm, Nakago length is 18.7

width at machi is 2.9cm and at yokote is 2.0cm

Sori is tori, 2cm at deepest point

kissaki is 3cm

mune is Iori

3 Mekugi ana, distances apart are 3cm and 4.7cm.

Nakago is futsu and Nakago-jiri is kiri

I can't really figure out the hamon, it appears very straight, and I can't get a good picture.

I was using the Connoisseur's Book of Japanese Swords as a reference and the checklist you linked to. 'twas fun.

post-399-14196737744336_thumb.jpg

post-399-14196737747038_thumb.jpg

post-399-14196737749569_thumb.jpg

BTW, not sure if anyone cares, but I've created a modified e-version of Dr. Stein's sword inventory sheet as a MS Word form. I find it a bit easier to fill out and print. Full credit still goes to Dr. Stein, of course.

You can get my version from here:

http://www.mediamax.com/gongfu88/Hosted/swrdinv.doc

Cheers,

/steve

Dear Unknown,

I would place this sword late Tegai sue Koto, some distinct features belonging to Yamato : High shinogi, Nie deki suguha.

Nevertheless, We have no idea of the kitae which is a stong kantei point, we have no indication on the hamon, but the hamon should be hoso suguha or it is almost hirosuguha. Futhermore the hamon should be O midare with more nioi than nie and very tight.

But as Nihonto as was saying late Jim Kurrash is full of exception, I'll stick to sue Tegai (based on the Nakago and the rust).

The sword seems very healthy from the kissaki picture, but (probably too much drink) I see as a small hamon line 5 mm under the marked one.

Just to add to Jean's comments-

There are several forms of the character we call "Kane". The form you have on your sword is most commonly associated with Yamato work, though definitely not exclusive to it. Many of the Yamato smiths would move elsewhere in Japan and set up shop. Many of them moved to Mino and changed the "Kane" they used to another form.

So, depending on the version of the 'Kane' character and supporting evidence like Jean used, you can get a good ballpark guess. More photos would help- but my initial impression is the same as Jean's.

Heck of a gift. Nice tsuba if you want to add a photo of that as well.

Hi Milt....

Yep our boy ""Masyuki"" again.... picked that one up before anything else!!! Very clean mei I might add...

Benyoka... Can you post some pictures of the Fuchi and other fittings on the Tosogu forum...?

Cheers

So, depending on the version of the 'Kane' character and supporting evidence like Jean used, you can get a good ballpark guess. More photos would help- but my initial impression is the same as Jean's.

Heck of a gift. Nice tsuba if you want to add a photo of that as well.

Your wish is my command. I will try my best to get some decent pics of the hamon/blade, as well.

post-399-14196737798173_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..