Muramasa blade for sale

Maybe that's why it didn't re-paper? Originally it was unnoticed? Suggesting this without actually examining the picture, assuming its hagire (as the listing has magically disappeared). Or the papers are el'fake-O. Personally, I would buy a muramasa with hagire but not for 48k!! Haha. MAYYBEE for 8k-10k after the papers were examined. My priorities are also irregular and I'm cheap. 8)

Mariusz,

I am not sure I agree with you that this is a tempering crack. It may be but I am more inclined to consider it an opening in the jigane, i.e a welding/forging fault.

If you think about the process cracking caused in the quenching process is a result of the stress put on the steel when the edge cools quickly and the back more slowly. The slower cooling back continues to shrinking forming the curve in the blade. This puts stress on the hardened edge effectively trying to pull it apart. This being the case you you exepct cracks caused by hardening to be perpendicular rather than parallel to the ha.

I am not sure I agree with you that this is a tempering crack. It may be but I am more inclined to consider it an opening in the jigane, i.e a welding/forging fault.

If you think about the process cracking caused in the quenching process is a result of the stress put on the steel when the edge cools quickly and the back more slowly. The slower cooling back continues to shrinking forming the curve in the blade. This puts stress on the hardened edge effectively trying to pull it apart. This being the case you you exepct cracks caused by hardening to be perpendicular rather than parallel to the ha.

Paul,

I am not a smith, so I have to refer to opinions of people with practice. The smith of the Kashima sisters shop mentions these as tempering cracks. Again, here is the link:

http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~sumie99/flaws.html

Please go to "Cracks in hamon (yaki-ware)"

I guess he knows what he is talking about, but of course I might be wrong :dunno:

I am not a smith either so we are equal from that point of view!!

To be honest it makes little difference it is a fault and it would be better for it not to be there. I have had swords in the past with such longitudinal openings appearing within the hamon and had always cionsidered them to be the grain opening rather than anything else. This of course could be made more visible when the balde is hardened. In which case both ideas are correct.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..