#1 Brian

Brian

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,515 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Hi all,
Just a little pet peeve of mine..perhaps I am being pedantic.
However, I am spending an increased amount of time editing people's posts to correct mistakes and bad forum code. This is something I shouldn't have to do. Everyone has the option of editing their own posts for a few days after posting. At the bottom right of your post, there is an 'edit' button right next to the 'quote' button.
Hopefully, after you post something, you go back and read through it. If you have forgotten a link, or mistyped something or notice forum code isn't working..then just edit your post and correct it. No need to reply to your own post. Just fix it.
This is particularly irritating when it comes to quotes. Quotes are not needed if you are replying to the post directly above yours. We can see what you are replying to. However, if you feel you need to quote, then please use it correctly.
BB Code (forum code) works like this: You can click on any of the code boxes just above where you are typing or editing your message.
You have ones such as B (bold) I (italics) u (underlined) Quote (obvious) etc.
These will wrap your text with an open function and a close function. Open function is like this and to close it, you use a / ()
So to do italics or bold etc....you will have an xxxxxxxxxxxx
Think of the / as a close function. The same applies for quotes. Your quoted text will start with

and end with

You can either hit the quote button, which will give you

and then you type your words in the middle of those 2, or you can highlight all of the text you want it to apply to...and then hit the correct box which will apply that to all of the text and wrap the text with

insert text here

If you want to just quote text, then use

text

If you want to add who you are quoting, then put their name in "" "" in other words:

text

The forum automatically changes links to clickable links. The only time you need to add the link is when the link contains characters that are not recognised as a link, such as ? or & etc. You will see the link wasn't converted properly when you review your post. Then just edit, and wrap the whole link in tags.

The main errors I see concern quotes though. If you see your quote didn't work, then you will find you either deleted a single [ or ] or forgot to add the close ( / ) to the end of the quote. EDIT your post, click submit, and check it. Look carefully, and in every case you will see you either added a space, forgot a bracket or the close / sign.

You will also see that there is a "Disable BBCode" check box under your post. This is used when you want to show the tags like I am doing now. No reason to use that check box usually.

Please ask any questions about these tags here, and get into a habit of editing and correcting our own posts.

Thanks,
Brian

- Admin -

#2 nagamaki - Franco

nagamaki - Franco

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:15 PM

Hello Brian,

May it be suggested that it would be most helpful to allow the edit feature to remain available in the 'for sale' forum for a longer period of time at least for the seller of the items in order to make necessary changes and updates. In fact why even close it. Thank you.

_________
Regards,

Franco

#3 Brian

Brian

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,515 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:35 PM

Franco,

Can't change that setting only for certain sections. It is all or nothing. And the reason for cutting off edits after a certain time (especially in that section) is to prevent people from posting an advert and maybe saying one thing in the description or price, and then later editing it and saying another. It happens on many forums. Someone will post a long advert and maybe say "no flaws" or give a certain nagasa, and then after payment, edit it and remove that line or change the description pending the argument over false advertising.

It is entirely plausible, and I do not want people to be forced to take screenshots to prevent unpleasant outcomes.
I prefer people to just update their listings or notify me if it needs to be changed. Safer for everybody this way, and none of that "he said, she said" happening.

Also prevents people from arguing or insulting others, and then changing what they said the day after to avoid consequences.

And there are other reasons. But for now, those will do. It really isn't too inconvenient.
I may allow editing for a slightly longer time though. Maybe 24 hours?

Brian

- Admin -

#4 nagamaki - Franco

nagamaki - Franco

Sai Jo Saku

• Members
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:56 PM

I may allow editing for a slightly longer time though. Maybe 24 hours?

I'll take it. Thank you.

_________
Regards,

Franco

#5 Brian

Brian

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 11,515 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:15 PM

Done. Hope it doesn't come back to bite me.

Brian

- Admin -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq