To Stand or Not

Justin Grant

I have the traditional adjustable neck stand under my armor that sits on the bitsu and the whole contraption is located in a sealed glass case to control temp and humidity.

However, never being one to let things be, I want to create a stand to make the armor stand. I was looking at the images from the display of the Barbier-Mueller show that Berry Hennick posted. The armor were in standing position and I want to try this.

Anyone have any suggestions? I looked for the mannequins online and they are salty if you can find a 65" to 67" tall version with the right stance and arms in the right position..

So, I thought I would make one from wood, and since the hakama, and the rest of the armor would hide it, what would it matter.

Anyone ever try this, or have suggestions on how to make it?

The case I have is 76" tall, 32" wide and 38" deep, and the bottom will have two rods about 8-10" long that protrude up and into the feet/legs of the stand to keep it from falling over... I am hoping that there are pictures of something I can follow here.. Maybe I am in new ground and will adapt the current stand I have and add legs...

Anyway, need to do something now that the weather has forced me inside....

Thanks

Justin try to contact the museum curator and ask what they do. Also I know that David Pepper of Windsor Ontario was involved in Montreal. There they have many standing armours. David owns a shop called Okame in Windsor. He does handle wrapping and other restorations. He once worked for the Royal Ontario Museum and did the display in Louisville as well.

Justin, As you know, the seated-on-the-box is the traditional way of displaying armour. However, it is your armour and you can display it how you like. The problem you will have with any form of commercial dummy / mannequin will be the proportions of the limbs, especially the shins. One other consideration is that I make my stands with supports under the lower edge of the dou to take all the weight off the fastening cords. On the armours that need it, I also fit padded fabric sleeves that support the weight of the kote and sode. A standing figure will add the weight of the gessan / kusazuri into the equation.

Ian Bottomley

Ian,

Thanks, and I understand. I thought I would use clear fishing line, and weave it in between the mimi ito on each gessan and run it up to the inside of the dou and fastened it just enough to remove the tension of each gessan. I have factored and modified my stand to have a support on the bottom of the dou to remove the weight and stress from the shoulders. I also employ the same measure on the kabuto. I also wrap the shoulder bar on the stand with heavy wool. All of which are your modification advise a few years ago that I took to heart.

It may not be practical, but I will try it. I would like the option of switching back and forth to change the look of the room a bit.

Ian, in your book you have a photo of a room full of armor and most in figures. Do you know how that was done or where they obtained the bodies?

Barry, thanks for the lead, I'll reach out to them.

Justin, Thomas, Oh yes there is a story. The house in question was inherited by a gent called Wade whose family had made a fortune from, I think, sugar and textiles. He had a passion for antiques and collected everything from ship models to bicycles - reaching a point where he had to move out of the house through lack of space and live in a cottage next door. His passion for Japanese armour dates from the 1930's, 40's. I know that on one occasion he went to buy a tap-washer at a plumbers in Tewksbury and came out with 5 or 6 armours for the princely sum of £5. One early item he acquired was an armour on a Meiji dummy, complete with clothing, a daisho and a yari. The Japanese artist had positioned the dummy so that its left hand was resting on the hilts of the swords, the right holding its yari at about shoulder height. As he added to the collection Wade's gardener was tasked with making more dummies and it was he who decided you couldn't do better than copy the Japanese one. The result was a series of figures cut from boards with their left hands on their hips and their right arms, flexed at elbow and wrist floating vaguely off at shoulder level - basically looking like a row of teapots. :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: When I first catalogued them, one of the tasks I undertook was to cut off the arms and re-position them so they looked slightly less fey.

By chance I shall be spending a couple of days with them after Christmas with the conservation team tasked with looking after them.

Ian Bottomley

Ian,

You get all of the fun! If you ever get a chance to snap some photos, please do!

KM,

That is the same basic stand I use, but modified to allow the dou to rest on a new cross bar at the bottom to reduce the stress on the shoulder straps. Also an adapter on the head to remove the stress on the delicate ukibari (liner)

Yup, I did the same, The dou rests on a larger crossbar so no force is used on the watagami, which with my armor are part of the upper back plate. Then you only need to adjust the center column. It stands full size on a chest in my living room :

SAM_1852.jpg

And yes guys, I know its a mixed mismatched pile of junk which needs to be restored one day....

There is not even a Maedate holder on the Zunari, I just put an old part of an epaulette and a fan on top of it.

The menpo is modern, the haidate also, as are the shikoro and O-sode.

Everything needs to be redone and relaced one day, just cant seem to find the time to do it.

The stand works well however, but needs to be adjusted since the head is too high.

KM

I prefer the traditional display.

I had this made so you can see what armour would look like worn. The weight of the do sits on the hips, I think a wooden one could cause damage if all the weight is on the shoulders.

8206765450_a746d2ecb8_z.jpg8205671023_4ab9d1a563.jpg

mq2.jpg

8206762648_ba6c3d6c48.jpg

Details on how he was made are on ma website: http://nihon-no-katchu.com/content/1214 ... mannequin/

That is one great mannequin Dave ! A full body cast, wow !

Sad to hear that Guy Louis-XVI has passed away.

I know many of my re-enactment friends use shop mannequins to put their WWII stuff on when not in use, not done that yet with my armor.

I must say this also is one of the better mannequins I have seen :

http://www.flow-clothing.com/blog/?p=5484

http://www.theworldsbestever.com/2010/0 ... rai-armor/

Made by artist Tesuya Noguchi.

KM

The problem with commercial mannequins is that they are designed for display. Shop windows etc, therefore they are oversized, to stand out.

I took 3 shop versions and a grinder, cut them up and re-proportioned the figure. Fibreglassed the sections back into position. They look 100% better. try it.

Here's one I did for my paintball site

389224_10150368315672459_1516566623_n.jpg

Well if anyone has the dosh my mate is Mike Hill a Hollywood SFX artist, he could make a bespoke figure no problem. I also know some superb FX masters in the UK who can life-cast and sculpt.

They would want to sell at least 10 units to make it worthwhile.

I must say this also is one of the better mannequins I have seen :

http://www.flow-clothing.com/blog/?p=5484

http://www.theworldsbestever.com/2010/0 ... rai-armor/

Made by artist Tesuya Noguchi.

KM

The seated figure is actually an original sculpt by the artist. It only stands about 35" high. His work is very interesting and he captures the details of katchu quite accurately.

John

Recently, I too, had to decide on making a Stand for my new "Big Horn" Armor suit.

I decided on making is standing, so, the Armor would look more "Intimidating"..

The vendor's seated box price was $500.00 for the box, so, I decided to make my own standing Stand (Instead of seated).

I had all the wood and screws from previous projects..

Still gotta remove the armor and paint the stand, as, some of the wood was not painted..

Alton Ken :D

post-3480-14196849753653_thumb.jpg

I hope that with your standing armour, you will put the Suneate (lower leg armor) the right way around, unlike the ones in the photo you posted. :)

KM

Masahige- san, :)

Thanks for the correction. (And you compliments on my Japanese Sword Room :) )

I guess now you all know I'm a newbie... :cry:

Sorry ,but that is a damn ugly chinese crap armor. All out of propotions. Sorry.

Thomas,

I'm not offended... :) I know it's true... :D

In the Photo they showed, it did look good.... :rotfl:

They must be famous, I see that same photo used by others... :rotfl:

I just wanted at least one armor, and, that was the most I would want to have spent..

After I got it, I knew I was in trouble..

It's poorly made, and the guy told me if I could fix the damages myself.. :rotfl:

I still like it.. Looks awesome standing there, looking at me..

So let this be a lesson to you all..... don't be like me :crazy: Warn your friends... :?

Going to try and tweak-it-up after I paint the stand.

Add filler into the kote, make sure I put the parts correctly , right K.M. :D

Thomas, the Leather Pads on the lower part of the suneate faces the outside? Thanks..

Thanks guys.

Alton :D

Alton, you can always sell it, and then go here :

http://www.samurai-store.com/

They do have proper replica armor.

KM

Actually, Japanese Armor is a luxury I can't afford..

I do come here to read and learn what I can.

This the model (Same photo at least) I bought.... :rotfl:

Link : http://www.samurai-store.com/armor/L027.html

:D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..