HOW TO ESTIMATE DATE ON A MEMPO?

NihontoEurope

Hi Martin,

As Luc says, dating menpo is very difficult - and that's coming from someone with loads of experience.

With reference to your menpo, it's hard to say from that one picture. I can give you a couple of guidelines, however remember there are always exceptions to any rule with Japanese armour. Older menpo (i.e. pre-Edo) usually have larger orifices, including larger mouths and ase-nagashi-no-ana (sweat hole under the chin). Also, older masks tend to be deeper. When it comes to Etchu-bo or yasuri men (those with parallel etched lines) from the Iwai/Yozaemon school, earlier examples have the nosepiece riveted on while later examples have a removable nosepiece.

John

Martin,

This is a Hanpo or 1/2 Mask. They too cover a wide range of time. There are little "tells" that can help direct you, but unless you have years and years of experience at looking at known dated items, it is simply a guess unless signed. I don't have the experience to do this myself.

I have several Menpo and Hanpo and the dates are all over the place.

I was told one good indicator is the color of urushi on the inside (red or balck), the hana (nose) rivits vs. prongs, the asa-nagashi-no-ana as indicated above.

Here is what I think is a mid/late Edo menpo (notice removable nose)

post-1946-14196849421261_thumb.jpg

post-1946-14196849429263_thumb.jpg

post-1946-14196849437614_thumb.jpg

post-1946-14196849444245_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..