Kabuto any thoughts

Hinawaju

Ian, I suppose your Ietada is the one from your book? Very nice kabuto! 25 seems to be common for Saotome. These koboshi kabuto are so beautifull... I can't imagine how they could make them so perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

Guy, I agree, I do not think your cranes are a kamon and may have been applied just as decoration. I suspect they were added later. It was very common for the owners of armour to remove their kamon when they sold them during the early Meiji period. One trick was simply to break off the fukigayeshi - I have a fine momonari kabuto that has been given this treatment. Another very fine helmet I can picture in my mind but cannot for the life in me remember where I saw it, has small circular menuki of the type you get on tanto tsuka substituted for the original kamon.

Ian Bottomley

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I have an unsigned koboshi kabuto that to my eye looks similar to several posted in this thread though clearly not as nice as those shown. Did Nagamichi or other known armor makers ever produce unsigned pieces, or are unsigned kabuto usually/always considered school or student pieces? I am a complete novice when it comes to Katchu so please be gentle. :)

There are 31 koboshi per row.

I just joined the NMB a week or so ago, and hope it is not considered bad form to join this topic so late.

Thanks,

Jack E

post-4400-14196854504944_thumb.jpg

post-4400-14196854510032_thumb.jpg

post-4400-14196854515077_thumb.jpg

post-4400-14196854520106_thumb.jpg

post-4400-14196854525251_thumb.jpg

Jack,

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

That is a very nice kabuto. I think the precision of the hoshi speak to its quality - there's nothing to be apologetic about! In fact, if not for the lack of telltale signs of a Nagamichi which Luc detailed earlier in this thread, this could certainly be mentioned in the same breath.

Nice find.

John

Jack, Welcome to the group. Yours looks like a Nagamichi kabuto with the three columns of rivets on the front plate. It also has the precision one would expect. I wouldn't worry that it is not signed, the bowl speaks for itself. I have never been happy with the various explanations as to why something, whether sword or armour, is or isn't signed. Perhaps it was a specific order from someone of high rank; who knows? I have just been struggling with who made the two famous Daikoku helmeted armours of Tokugawa Iyeyasu, both of which are unsigned. Kunozan Toshogu Shrine claim the one they have was made by Iwai Yosaemon and that he was armourer to Ieyasu. He certainly made at least four of the armours given to European royalty by Ieyasu, and signed them in red lacquer on the inside of the shikoro and inside the muneita, but he didn't sign the Daikoku armour - if he made them, why not. The four armours given as gifts are all do-maru or honkozane ni mai do with akodanari kabuto and o-sode - totally at variance with the Daikoku armours which are nuinobe do. Kunozan Toshogu claim he worn their armour at Seki ga hara whereas Nikko Toshogu claim he wore the namban armour they have. It is all very confusing.

Ian Bottomley

John, Ian and Luc,

Thank you very much for the information and encouragement! Your knowledge is impressive and your comments are greatly appreciated. I suppose I will keep my eyes open for other pieces, but other than a collection of abumi, this is my only piece of armour.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..