is this real

Eugene,

The fact that the seller mentions that it has to de deregistered in Japan before exporting means that this one is properly licenced there, and therefore is either a Gendaito and traditionally made, or might be one of those wartime blades that seem to sometimes have slipped through the cracks and received a tokorusho (licence)

Sometimes arsenal stamps are removed or there are none, but there are definitely swords with registration certificates that would probably be refused them if they were re-submitted today.

Regards,

Brian

Guest Simon Rowson

Hi Eugene,

WWII period swords can be owned here quite legally, even in gunto mounts, as long as the blade is a gendaito or older as Brian says.

When I registered my swords at Yokohama I was in the queue behind two Japanese dealers who had just bought about 30 swords in the US. They were a little angry to say the least when about 60% of their blades were refused registration for being non-traditionally made. This meant either an immediate return to the point of origin (America) or automatic destruction by the Japanese authorities.......ouch.

The sword on eBay looks to be a star-stamped gendaito (with a very nice habaki for a late-war mounted blade). Star stamps are allowed in Japan as they indicate blades made by smiths of the Rikugun Jumei Tosho (Army approved swordsmiths) which are, apparently, made traditionally of tamahagane.

All the best,

Simon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..