Translations

Recently at the NMB gathering in Tokyo, Moriyama san mentioned something that I think might be a very good idea. There are many translation requests on the forum, and they are usually handled by himself and others fairly swiftly. But if the name of the game is to further our knowledge, and perhaps learn a bit of kanji ourselves, then maybe it would be a good idea for him (and others who have the knowledge to do fluent translations) to perhaps delay the posting of the answers for a few hours or a day, and to give us all time to take a shot at it.

I know that I am also guilty of this..and haven't been hauling out the books and comparing kanji like I used to.

So from time to time, translation requests might just get a hint or 2 before the answer is given a short while later.

This should encourage us all to have a go, and in this way make this a learning experience.

This is not to say that some might not be translated immediately, but occasionally I think there might be a day delay before the final answer is given, and people are encouraged to have a go at the kanji.

We saw this in Barry's recent request, where Koichi gave a hint first before supplying the answer. I will have to remember to keep a lookout for those mei with a family name in them.

This isn't board policy or anything...it is competely up to the people helping with the translations, and if you have a need for an urgent translation, I am sure that mentioning this in your post will get fast action as always.

Once again I thank those who are willing to donate their time with these requests, and making this the best place to come to for online Nihonto assistance :)

Regards,

Brian

Koichi mentioned it to me after the meeting. I think it is a good idea, and perhaps one to two days gap to give novices a bit more time.

How about as an idea, something like the old Conundrums, but just having to translate the mei, and not worry about if it is right (shoshin) or not.

We could start easy and progress as time goes on. Just a thoght.

Rich

This is a great idea! Usually I like to try the translation and see how close I come. At other times I'm stumped and ask for help. I agree if the need is urgent one could express that need. In the specific case of the mei I asked about knowing that a family name preceeded the smith's name was good information. Thanks to those who do offer assistance.

Yes indeed !

Very good Idea.

It is in fact one of the most popular topic on the forum.

Conundrums ?

Sure, but not too hard at first.

The ones on the old forum were, I tought, for experts :(

Perhaps keeping them as a progressive tutorial somewhere on the site ?

Could be too much work perhaps :doubt:

BenoitD

Very good idea, I'll try to give an answer to these conundrums, I am not very good at reading but I have the Koop & Inada and can work at spare time.

I must confess that Koichi astonished me more and more, not only by his fantastic culture but by is ability at reading mei on out of focus picture :)

Quote "Do one's best and leave the rest to Providence."

Koichi, my friend, Providence must be starving by now!!!! ;)

Will work on a few translation "connundrums" to get things started. If anyone has any pics or scans that are worth using, then email them to me and I'll do the photoshopping and add them. I think we could do 3 at a time..one easy, one mid level and one harder. Would need verified answers at the same time. Gimei or not is not an issue (let's leave soshu script out of this for now :) )

Main issue is to make sure I am not breaking any copyright issues if I scan them from available sources, but am sure this won't be a real issue.

I considered a separate section for translations...but some of the translation requests turn into good debates and discussions that turn up good research info, so don't want to remove that from the other forums. But I will consider it if the need becomes more apparent.

Thanks all,

Brian

Hi ___?

Thanks, but we are ok for now. Have a few pics to use, but we will see what is the reaction to the one I have up for now before I plan more.

Btw..please remember to add your name to your posts as per the rules.

Thanks,

Brian

Thanks Brian.

Yeah realised that and I did try to edit my post, but darned if I could find an edit button after I retrieved it. I just wanted to add a THANK YOU for providing this source of information and a chance to see what others are up to.

Ed Tree

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..