Would anyone be interested in a UK-Nihon Katchu Bugu Kenkyu?

DaveT

I have a few collectors in the area that visit me to play with armour. One said how fortunate it was that they knew me?

I then pondered that if you a collector in the UK where would you begin to learn other than buy one of Ian's books.

Being a £131.00 a year paid up member of the Nihon Katchu Bugu Kenkyu Hozon Kai is not really going to get you far, especially if you want to be hands on with the stuff.

So here it is, would anyone be up for a UK version of the NKBKHK? I know we have the Token, but it's not really 100% katchubunny.

We already meet, drink tea and play with katchu in Northampton each month. Would anyone else like to attend?

Then its a must guys!

Would anyone like to tender a name? UK-Nihon Katchu Bugu Kenkyu? UK-Katchubunnies?

@Ian good chat today. I'll pop up with those Iwai armours as promised. Should be a couple of weeks before I get the haramaki.

@ Paul, where do you live buddy?

A "little" further south than Ian, keep going, cross the channel and head east for about 700km !

:cry:

Oh dear.

Well if you ever want to fly to Luton or Birmingham anytime i'll be happy to collect ya, let you stay over. You can meet the lads etc.

make it possible for all Western-European Katchu people, now we have to go to Paris, New York or Tokyo.

London would be great. I would like to come in contact with UK collectors. I know very few about them and their stuff.

What about a European symposium once a year? During the Asia week perhaps?

Dear Dave,

I too would subscribe to what you are proposing. Also, I am based in Hertfordshire, UK and would love the chance to look at some armour close up. Unfortunately, I am pretty much a katchu novice so wouldn't have an awful lot to contribute myself.

Kind regards,

John J.

make it possible for all Western-European Katchu people, now we have to go to Paris, New York or Tokyo.

London would be great. I would like to come in contact with UK collectors. I know very few about them and their stuff.

What about a European symposium once a year? During the Asia week perhaps?

That sounds exciting!

I'll be very honest with everyone here. I'd just about had it with armour, mainly trough my dealings as a partner with a well known dealer/author. Working with him painted a rather infectious, distorted and almost resentful picture of museums and the collectors community. Luckily, after removing myself from him completely I was approached by a local collector who re-ignited my passion for armour and ultimately re-connected me with some old friends.

With my restoration services re-booted katchu plays a part in my everyday life once again. I assessed where I was, and who were my mentors over the years and felt guilty that what little knowledge I do retain through their investment in me was destined to be lost over time. Therefore I am committed to making a go of this. Most of all I want to learn.

We all belong to a minority, keeping together, sharing, learning, contributing, inter-acting with each other can only be of benefit to us, and future katchuphiles. I would really like to see this "guild of fellows" transpire.

I hold a healthy collection of armour, it's available to be viewed, held, inspected by what I deem as like-minded people. In the UK we have a handful of collectors, that are willing to meet and exchange. This is all we really need, there is no requirement to over complicate things and ultimately invite politics and other time wasting evils. This is not a slur on working on an European basis, I'd welcome it. Maybe a European umbrella will emerge from this at some point? In the meantime I will slap together a web presence aimed for a 2013 launch, I'll make all digital assets and content available to our oversea friends should they wish to replicate.

I'm going to be attending the Antique Fair at the Birm Int'l on the 18th Nov if anyone would like to meet up.

I think Ian and Richard will be going?

D

I'll be very honest with everyone here. I'd just about had it with armour, mainly trough my dealings as a partner with a well known dealer/author. Working with him painted a rather infectious, distorted and almost resentful picture of museums and the collectors community.

I am not sure what you are saying.

Gosh, I would be interested in more, is this someone in America or Canada? :?:

I'm going to be attending the Antique Fair at the Birm Int'l on the 18th Nov if anyone would like to meet up.

I think Ian and Richard will be going?

Have you got a table?

This sounds like a good venture, but unfortunately I spend most of the year in Japan. If a meeting coincides with a visit over, however, it would be good to nip up from London. In the meantime I need to take every chance here to learn more about Katchu. (Nihonto, Tanegashima, Ukiyo-e & Netsuke besides...)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..