tsuba-when & where

JonP

I bought this tsuba recently to use on my wakizashi, I think it looks nice but does anyone have a clue of where in Japan and when it was made. Please don't tell me it was made in China last week.

It is 3.5mm thick and 8 by 7. The copper? bits look like they have had gold leaf on them at some time.

Thanks - I hope.

Jon

post-284-14196737446357_thumb.jpg

post-284-14196737447742_thumb.jpg

I will have to disagree with Franco on this one.

I'm a little bothered by the pinkish 'highlights on the first image, could you confirm whether that is a image defect or whether there really is a copper-ish film on the iron as it seems.

Having said that it would seem as though the copper inlay is genuine and that as you pointed out, there is a trace of gold remaining. I wouldn't be gold leaf but either mercury amalgam gilding ( fire gilding; kin-keshi in Japanese ). the proportions and overall shape of the tsuba is perfectly fine though. I don't see any reason to dismiss it as a Chinese fake at all.

Judging from the state of the iron, if the image is to be trusted, I would suggest that it has been overzealously cleaned of it's patina in an acid dip. This would also explain the copper film, if it is actually present. If you put iron and copper in an acid bath together you will get an electrochemical reaction which results in the iron being copper plated.

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on your tsuba bearing what I've written in mind.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Cheers, Ford ( the tsuba making guy )

Hi Franco,

I don't think it's very old but it's certainly not modern. If you consider the copper gilt inlay, each of those smaller pieces, and the large main piece, is true inlay. That is a lot of work, it would just not be cost effective today to use that sort of technique unless the end result would earn a decent price. Thats aside from the scarcity of skilled makers to do to the inlay. Admittedly, it's not of the highest quality in artiistic terms but I still see it as a genuine antique Japanese tsuba. Probably very late Edo; Bakamatsu period.

I think the present condition is as a result, initially of neglect, ie; lots of excess rust, which has subsequently been stripped off with acid or something similar. This sort of treatment leaves the metal porous ( not a good thing ) and looking dry, this can then often appear to be a cast piece.

Brian, in this case the inlay is, as I mentioned earlier, gilt copper. If the inlay had been brass and made as late as I'd imagine I'd suggest a revivalist Heianjo piece. But as to where it was made, that's probably anyones guess. Mine would be Kyoto.

cheers, Ford

Thanks guys great feedback. The back picture is a bit deceiving in its colour, in reality it's a more dark stained laquer look, like someone has put a laquer over the patina maybe. You can see tiny bits of bare metal on the front along the edge and that is greyish. Not sure why the back scan looks so coppery. I paid $250 US so I'm glad the consensus seems to go for real.

I would hazard a guess at Shiiremono Jon. A mass produced tsuba from the late 1800's.When the Meiji Restoration occurred, and Japan opened her doors to the world, many metal workers set up shop on the dock's at Yokohama and other places and made trinkets and souvenirs for the tourist's. Sword fittings were a big part of this trade.

The little fillers are called Sekigane by the way.

While some Shiiremono can be quite ok, in defence of Franco, many Shiiremono do not look much better than Chinese knock off's, and Jon's images didn't really help the cause. Better images would maybe help us make a better kantei, and try to work out just what this might be.

just my cents worth

Cheers

Rich

Thanks again, my interest really lies with my blade collection but I bought a wakizashi 15yrs ago for $90 NZ that had a lovely clean blade and beautiful wavy hamon and the only fittings it had was the scabbard, I now have a tsuba{as above, not fake thank heavens}, I made the habaki and have two lovely Mino school Kashira and Fuchi on the way from the UK. I have made the tsuka as well but am in dire need of some Tsuka-maki. Can anyone tell me where I can get some please.

Jon

Jon,

Most guys get their ito from Japan. Cheapest place is Namikawa, who are a pleasure to deal with.

Their link is on the links page under restoration if you need it.

Regards,

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..