One I picked up in Japan

Brian

Hi all,

Picked this one up in a small lot of tsuba. I like it...although I suspect it will be just a fair shoami piece?

Was wondering what the depictions represent? I remember some discussion about this kind of character with the large earlobes, but can't find it again. Is this a sage, or one of the foreigners depicted?

I am also baffled about the barrel on a stand. Can't make out what it is supposed to be. Anyways..I like it for its simplicity, and it was a very fair price.

Appreciate any comments or info.

Thanks,

Brian

Dsc00015.jpg

Dsc00013.jpg

Brian,

It is a taiko drum.... my missus would like that one as she is a member of a performing taiko team in Florida.... see http://www.fushudaiko.com/ shameless plug!!

That mon is widely used in Taiko too....

The big ones are usually placed on these stands in this position... referred to as O'Daiko, but the regularr 3' by 2' (approx) ones also are sometimes played like this.

Also for the worlds premier Taiko team see KODO's website... and if you can catch one of their world tours sometime go see it... mind blowing... http://www.kodo.or.jp/ you may see the mon on this site as kodo use it a lot.

By the way... I like the tsuba too.... I'm right behind Stephen on that!!

Cheers

post-7-14196737443012_thumb.gif

post-7-14196737443418_thumb.gif

on the Taiko, and with a few seconds of Google came up with the following link http://www.taiko.com/taiko_resource/history.html

It was believed that the taiko was inhabited by a god, though it does not which one it seems. Maybe it was the god of choice of the drummer ?

Nice enough tsuba Brian, maybe Aizu Shoami ?, not that sure. The iron looks ok, nice set of choppers.

Cheers

Rich

Thanks a lot for the help folks, much appreciated.

Taiko drum it is then..I hadn't even considered that one :)

Yes..I do like it quite a bit. The detail on the teeth is interesting and quite good.

Anyways...it has a good home for now. I really wanted some good sukashi tsuba, but by then my cash was gone and the sellers wouldn't take credit card.

Bad planning on my part :doubt:

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..