Japanese Armour Restoration UK

DaveT

I've been rather encouraged with the growing interest on the forum with regard armour restoration. Until now I never realised that what we as restorers take on board as a standard routine is rarely shared with the collectors community. For that reason I have started this thread. It's not my intention to tender trade secrets here as such, but rather to provide you with an insight of what goes on behind closed doors. I work on 4-5 projects at the same time due to drying times and rarly photograph the work. Now armed with the iphone I can make this happen.

I hope you enjoy the regular updates.

Dave

This is a Nerigawa Suji bachi kabuto. I received the item is a very poor state, almost 80% wrecked. The relief on the surface of the helmet is completely fabricated from kokuso and sabi, most of which has been lost through damage. This is a total rebuild, and a very challenging one.

Stage 1: I consolidated all areas that were damaged.

Stage 2: I have built up the ground layers with a hard layer of kokuso (mixture of flower, urushi and fine sawdust)

Stage 3: Rebuild. Again using kokuso I am making the false suji-tate flanges. Once dry they will be cut back and another layer applied.

6079_455702327801242_1124235716_n.jpg

This photo displays the newly built suji-tate and the replacement rim to the mabizashi with a light kokuso layer. Once dried it will be cut back and the process repeated until a level and presentable layer has been attained.

You can follow more regular updates on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/nihonnokatchu

I am constantly amazed at the workmanship and artistic ability of those that do this sort of work -not to mention the patience. Dave this particular procedure for the entire helmet must take months !!

Thanks for taking the time from your work to share.

Most items are drying today, so I took a photograph of the various materials and tools I use for lacquer work in my studio.

10438_10151062002632190_1639044913_n.jpg

On lacquering I base the process very closely to the procedure outlined in the Chukokatchu Seisakuben by Kozan Sakakibara written in Edo Jindai

I was trained to create urushi-art! But that level is not required for katchu thank god.

1. Ko-Ita-Nuri

A single thin layer of seshime-urushi is applied. (2 days drying)

2. Mugi-Urushi

A covering cloth is laid, then coated with a wheat flour mugi-ko seshime-urushi layer. (2 days drying)

3. Kokuso

A mixture of chopped hemp, wheat flour and seshime-urushi is used to fill any dents and gaps. (2 days drying)

4. Seshime-nuri

A thick layer is applied to seal the kokuso, then polished. (2 days drying)

5. Sabi-nuri

A coating of mixture seshime-urushi and Tonoko clay is applied and polished when dry. (2 days drying)

6. Sabi-gatame-nuri

A repetition of 5. this ensures the surface is smooth. (2 days drying)

7. Ro-iro

A coat of black lacquer is applied, followed by polishing (6 days drying)

8. Ro-iro

Repeated. (6 days drying)

9. Ro-iro

Repeated (6 days drying)

10. Ro-iro

Repeated, but finished with standard polishing and then a treatment of tsubaki (powered deer horn) (6 days drying)

As you can see this process takes a long time. I tend to work on at least 5-10 commissions at the same time. I dry the lacquer for an extra day due to the fact that I'm extremely allergic to it. There's a lot to be said for the tataki-nuri technique as from point 5. its only two further steps, a sabi-nuri and sealing coat to finish.

May I ask do you use Naotane & Turpentine oil on you brushes, also may I say thank you

for the information so freely posted.

Regards,

T.Norman.

My Tanaka-Bake are made from human hair.

I was instructed to use only rapeseed oil. Takes me nearly 30 minutes to clean of the urushi with a Hera, then I use Saran Wrap (Japanese Cling Film) to keep them stored between jobs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..