Shii-nari & Topai

myochin

DaveT's previous thread got me wondering on what is the difference between a Shii-Nari kabuto and a Topai kabuto.

At first i thought that a shii-nari was more rounded-shaped and pointed (often with a tehen, but not always) and a topai more conical and taller, but looking through catalogues it would seem that the terms applies as to the fancy of the author.

Does anyone have any comments to share on these two terms ?

Thanks.

Paul.

Paul, I would agree with you that a shii-nari bachi would be to some extent pointed but with rounded sides - in other words resembling the top of an acorn. A toppai bachi strictly speaking is simply a pointed helmet so I suppose the former is a specific form of the latter.

Ian Bottomley.

Here are some four examples of the two terms being used by different dealers and knowledgeable people to describe these types of kabuto.

1st. http://www.giuseppepiva.com Shiinari kabuto

2nd. Hermann Historica Topai kabuto

3rd. http://www.yoroikabuto.com Topai kabuto

4th. http://www.sengokudaimyo.com (Anthony Bryant) Shiinari kabuto

post-1815-14196844431935_thumb.png

post-1815-14196844434361_thumb.png

post-1815-14196844436589_thumb.png

post-1815-14196844438091_thumb.png

Paul, I would agree with you that a shii-nari bachi would be to some extent pointed but with rounded sides - in other words resembling the top of an acorn. A toppai bachi strictly speaking is simply a pointed helmet so I suppose the former is a specific form of the latter.

Ian Bottomley.

Ian, correct me if I'm reading this incorrectly.

A coned helmet would be classed as Toppai, but a slightly rounded helmet that moves towards a peak (point) is Shii-nari.

The above terms being used regardless of ken etc.

Dave, That is how I understand it. What is being described is the overall shape. Turning to my 'bible' on these matters (Nihon Katchu Bugu Jiten - Sasama, p314), those helmets which come to a point with a convex sides he lists as: Shii-nari- acorn shaped. One with straight sides he lists as Sui-nari - conical. Those with concave sides he describes as fude-nari - shaped like a writing brush. All of these shapes he lists as TOPPAI kabuto.

Ian B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..