Edo Period Kote armour

Mark Andrews

Greetings all,

I am thinking of buying these Kote from Japan. But I would like some input first regarding the quality and style/school . The arm length is 68cm. I would like to frame these on the wall and not add to a composite set of armour.

Any comments welcome as I am not an expert in this area. :?

Regards,

Mark.

post-3209-14196844314173_thumb.jpg

post-3209-14196844315089_thumb.jpg

post-3209-14196844319942_thumb.jpg

post-3209-14196844323505_thumb.jpg

Hi Luc,

Thank you for your comments. Yes I agree with what you say, I think Kaga. I am thinking it may have been lacquered originally, but I'm no expert on this. I just like the work involved on this Kote, a lot of time involved.I don't think it is signed I will ask this question. It appeals to me greatly as a one off buy.

Regards,

Mark.

Hi Piers,

Thank you for your comments.The hinge I have seen on other Kote as well which have there lacquer attached,but not the detail as this one. I would like to know maybe the ball park age. I am thinking circa 1700-1750 getting to the end of the EDO period maybe ? From my reference books that I have.

Many thanks.

Mark.

Reply back on Kote. No signature that can been found. Price tag WOW $5,000 Aud :doubt: :?

Would this be the going $ rate on such an item :?:

Regards ,

Mark.

Mark, I think that price is high even with the quality of the kote, for that price you can get a real nice kabuto, or even a nice kabuto and menpo, you may want to try and get the price reduced.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..