New to Sword Collecting and Translation Assistance

reeder

Hello boys & girls. I just got into sword collecting in the past couple of months and found this site the other day and figured I'd join as it appears there is a wealth of information, plus it's always fun to show off collections and talk about fairy tales :)

I only have 2 swords (1 Wakizashi & 1 Katana). I'm sure many of you have been where I am and am overwhelmed with the amount of information and different signatures (they all look the same to me). Any help on translations would be greatly appreaciated. I have attached pictures starting with my Katana. I believe the English translation is "Loyal Heart" and reads "Gishin" but not 100% sure. Have spent hours on google and looking at reference sites. Not sure what era the sword would have been made or if handmade vs. machine made.

Any and all assistance and criticism is welcomed and greatly appreciated.

-Brandon

post-4282-14196843750042_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196843753591_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196843757861_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196843761895_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196843764591_thumb.jpg

Brandon,

Signature=mei in Japanese

2 kanji signature=niji mei

It reads Yoshi Masa from top to bottom -it is the smith name

It is what is called a gunto = army sword

Please, Post a whole picture of the tang to see of there is an arsenal stamp. If there is one, it is not traditionally made

Now attached are pics of my Wakizashi and believe is says "Before the River" or something along those lines. As far as I can make out the 1st character is "gawa". There is not a signature on the Tsuba, but I am very proud of it :)

I do have the handle, but it needs to be restored and re-wrapped. The wooden "scabbard" came with the sword that I bought with a bunch of bayonets & a knife.

-Brandon

post-4282-14196843767442_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196843773115_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196843776221_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196843781058_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196843784364_thumb.jpg

Jean, you are good sir. Thank you very much! I attached one pic of what may or may not be an arsenal stamp. Maybe a flaw? I can't really tell. (On the Katana). Other than that, didn't see anything else on the tang.

My friend has a Katana that we think was made by Yoshimune Ishihara.

If better pics are needed let me know. I will take & post some tomorrow evening as I am headed to class in 15 minutes (that grad school never ends).

Y'all have a wonderful evening.

-Brandon

post-4282-14196843786002_thumb.jpg

Now attached are pics of my Wakizashi and believe is says "Before the River" or something along those lines...... There is not a signature on the Tsuba, but I am very proud of it ....

To me it looks like a SURIAGE (shortened) WAKIZASHI with the remaining KANJI for BIZEN (a province).

Photos are only helpful when well focused and sharp, and TSUBA should be presented with the pointed part of the NAKAGO ANA (slot) upwards unless it is a TACHI TSUBA.

Brandon,

It may be one.

Go to the military sword section and look to the post Arsenal stamps, it may be there, here is the link:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=8010

The first character of the wakizashi signature looks like "shu". It is a suffix used in the province name

http://www.jssus.org/nkp/kanji_for_provinces.html

Shu and gawa (river) are very close from one another :)

Is there anything in particular part that needs a sharper image (I noticed that the Tsuba came out pretty blurry).

I guess the swordsmiths made swords from pretty much the beginning of sword making through the Shin-Shinto Period (ending in 1868)? Bummer the maker's name wasn't left intact and it is a Suriage.

Thank you.

-Brandon

Looks to be an arsenal stamp on the katana; the Showa stamp I think. This means it is not traditionally made (not true Nihonto)

The wakizashi has been shortened and I agree, "Bizen" is all that remains of a longer mei. Edit to add, having seen Jean's post. Why would the 1st kanji be a suffix? Shu in this position doesn't make sense. Bizen or Bishu seems more likely.

Your tsuba might benefit from a gentle wash with water and a soft brush. Don't use a brush stiffer than a toothbrush and use nothing other than water.

Grey

I figured the Katana would be around the WWII era, was hoping for maybe mid-1800s on the blade. Wish the signature was still there on the Wakizashi so I could date it and find out who made it. Thank you all very much. I'm going to try and get a better picture of what we think is an arsenal stamp. It's just not very clear to begin with and I can't really make anything out even under magnification.

I have a feeling that my bayonet & fighting knife collecting is going to cease and the collection itself may be reduced to make room for more swords :)

Jean, the site you sent me as the main reference was the site I was looking for hours in trying to find signatures. I guess you've just seen and researched enough to know what a lot of the signatures are? You pretty much responded instantly, which is quite amazing.

-Brandon

I also meant to add that I read that just because it is arsenal stamped it does not necessarily mean that the blade was machine made, just that non-traditional methods were used (materials, general method, etc.). I understand this is more of a traditional sword forum, but I still find them extremely interesting.

-Brandon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've got another one for translation but would like help on direction or maybe how the signature is arranged to find myself rather than having it provided please. I need to practice more on how to find the signatures. unfortunately the Japanese sword index site is down until Nov. I know it's a wwii arsenal blade so if there's another area in supposed to post please let me know.

Thanks,

Brandon

post-4282-14196846713982_thumb.jpg

Well, thought I found a couple of the characters, wrote them down and didn't save the file where I wrote them of course. I'd greatly appreciate a little push in the right direction or some assistance. I couldn't find half of the characters and the half I thought I found wasn't ever sure they were what I thought.

Thanks,

Brandon

Thank you guys, I suck at this too, but I believe it transaltes to Tokushu ko motte ido hidetoshi saku based on the link below (I had gotten some of it, but was missing most :D ). http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-WW2-Japanes ... 7675.l2557

Assuming it's a machined blade, and given it's not traditional most here wouldn't care, but I'd still prefer handmade over machined even as a military collector. Posted a couple more pics of the blade. Same goes with hopefullness that the Yoshimasa would have been handmade as well, even though it was not made traditionally.

-Brandon

post-4282-14196847637246_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196847642959_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196847648307_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196847653328_thumb.jpg

post-4282-14196847657031_thumb.jpg

..... but I'd still prefer handmade over machined .....

You are not alone, Brandon!

The photos: I think this is an old and dirty tent in pink with some metal bar on it.

Honestly, there is not much to be seen. Have a look at the other threads and compare how photos should be made!

The photos: I think this is an old and dirty tent in pink with some metal bar on it.

Honestly, there is not much to be seen. Have a look at the other threads and compare how photos should be made!

:lol: You're always ragging on my photos. My 7 mp camera outdated very quickly and now use my phone instead since it gets clearer photos. I'm also assuming you mean how the pics are actually taken in terms of angles, what is in pic, lighting, etc. Planning a sword photo session with my friend and his high dollar camera soon. Will update shutterfly with pics and share. hopefully between the 2 of us we can get a couple right ;)

in regards to the tent, i believe it may be a medical tent since the guy i got it from was PFC 22 1st Med. 11th A.B. (according to the shipping crate).

-Brandon

Brandon,

of course I was pulling your leg :). Making good photos is not only a question of hardware - these blades are generally hard to deal with. I think it is important to know which features to show and what can be pictured regarding the condition of a blade. Correct angles and light are crucial, and in many cases the photos could be enhanced with a software program.

If you make a SUGATA photo, cut away the background as far as possible, and use a dark one.

For web-use...a 5MP camera will do fine, you don't need the latest DSLR..trust me. In most cases, an old digital camera will be better than an iPhone or other cellphone.

It's more about lighting, (not direct sunlight) background and keeping it steady.

Brian

I try to get close ups with the camera but can't ever get it to focus as you can see from my close ups. My phone actually focuses and has 8mp camera, which is why I've been using my phone over the camera.

Jean, I know you were messing with me. Your comment about a dirty piece of metal on a pink cloth cracked me up.

-Brandon

I try to get close ups with the camera but can't ever get it to focus as you can see from my close ups.....

Brandon,

normally even the cheaper cameras should have a close-range device. But even if not you could use a program like PICASA which will help you to store and to adapt the photos to your needs (enlarge, cut to size, lighten up, etc.). I find this very helpful for someone like me who is rather helpless with a computer.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..