Professional armour restorer

katchushi

Hello all,

After posting several items in the Izakaya section of the NMB, I have been kindly asked by the admin of this site to introduce myself following a thread about what members have made themselves. I have been making and restoring Japanese arms, armour and equipment for almost 25 years and I live in England. Via an introduction from Mr Ian Bottomley of the Royal Armouries, I have studied under one of the finest master armourers in Japan. In 2004 I was asked by him (my Sensei) to help make the Oyoroi seen in the attached photo. Myself and five other Japanese craftsmen worked hard to produce this exact and faithful reproduction of the famous late Heian, early Kamakura period Oyoroi. Our hard work is now in the Yamanashi Prefectural Museum, Japan. I only ever use Japanese techniques and materials including genuine Japanese urushi lacquer. I was also taught in Japan saya nuri (saya lacquering) in a wide variety of styles, fine metalwork and how to make E-gawa (the stencilled doeskin leathers). Commercially made E-gawa is screen printed and lacks the sharpness of the originals, being only used for repro's and armours used in the boys festival. The attached photo is of a stencil known as Shoheigawa that I cut using handmade Katagami stencil paper. If my Sensei caught me using commercial E-gawa I would be floating head down along the Sumida river! I will have a dig through some of my archives and post some other examples of my work when I have a mo.

Robert Soanes

post-2256-14196843661853_thumb.jpgpost-2256-14196843663312_thumb.jpg

Hi Robert,

I've been attempting to contact you. I too operate a katchu restoration studio, located in Northamptonshire. I'm mainly self self taught through years of experimentation, trial and error. I outsource any metal work and keep mainly to either lacquer work and lacing. I must admit that Ian and Jock got me started on this journey when they were restoring items in the past.

I have been professionally trained in urushi application. Unlike you, I lean towards commercial restoration as my clients are on limited budgets, where traditional restoration is completely unviable. Keeping it authentic is costly. My view is that any material used is modern, I source printed leather, kanamono and silk odoshi from Japan, but try to use vintage asa, chirimen silk etc.

I do own a personal collection of some 30 gusoku, Kabuto which makes for an excellent resource of study should you ever wish to view them.

Hope we can meet.

Dave

Dave,

No offence meant. As I mentioned on a previous thread, being a busy professional restorer I do not always have the time to get on the NMB. The last time I looked I saw Erics message, accidentally by-passing yours. If ever you need quality hand crafted Kanamono, maedate or even Seppa, Shitadome etc just drop me a line.

Robert

No offense taken. I'm over my head this month in commissions too.

I was pretty much on my own in the UK restoring armour. I would welcome the opportunity to have another person to interact with who shares the passion.

Currently I'm working on a Nerigawa Suji Bachi. It's nearly 70% destroyed. I had this sent to me from Japan, it's full of car filler and was covered with an oil based black paint. I've removed the crud and replaced the damage with kokuso which has now finally dried, today it's getting a sabi layer.

Unfortunately I'm allergic to Urushiol, and my wrists have been contaminated lol.

Gentlemen

I have just posted tonight Part 5 of The Diary of the Restoration of a Suit of Japanese Armour onto the new Token Society of GB's website at http://www.To-ken.com. As this armour is being restored by Mr Robert Soanes, you may care to see further examples of his work.

As always, your comments will be most welcome.

Regards

Clive Sinclire

Gentlemen

I have just posted tonight Part 5 of The Diary of the Restoration of a Suit of Japanese Armour onto the new Token Society of GB's website at http://www.To-ken.com. As this armour is being restored by Mr Robert Soanes, you may care to see further examples of his work.

As always, your comments will be most welcome.

Regards

Clive Sinclire

Clive, talk about bringing something back from the dead, I have to commend both you ( for being willing to spend the money) and Robert (for carrying on this ancient and near extinct art). I hope to see the full completely restored armor eventually.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..