translation help

peter

One side says Oite Toto (in Tokyo) then something illegible. The other side has ? ? ? Kuni then masa then something else....Maker maybe Masa ?....

Seems shinshinto or early kindai to....

I bet Morita san will have the answer...

Thank you Chris,

i know it would be hard since the kanji was where the mekugi ana are now, this seems to be a good find for me as it came in what i think is meiji or tourist style dark wooden carved dragon mounts. i do hope Morita san can shed more light on this tanto,

Peter

Chris,

Just thinking out loud, but could your memory banks have "remembered" Masahiro for a smith actually called Hiromasa (same kanji but reversed order) of Ehime. Shikoku?

I mention this because I can't find a Masahiro for Shikoku, but know of a Hiromasa there, conversely, if this mei's prefecture kanji is Sanuki as Moriyama san thinks, then it is still Shikoku, but maybe it is Masakiyo (Ittosai)?, although I agree, your Hiro does seem to fit also...this is a hard one.

Regards,

Thanks Chris and George,

I went through all 14 pages of Masahiro last night :shock: i will go through the Hiromasa later and hopefully find our man. Maybe the swordsmith was feeling mischievious on that day . Signed the tang then put a ruddy big hole through it to give us something to do in our spare time :crazy: good research blade :thanks:

Peter

Peter san,

No, with Hiromasa you will be wasting your time...it is either Ittosai Masakiyo of Sanuki - Shikoku, or else Masahiro (but we can't find one for Sanuki - Shikoku)...both kiyo and hiro in this case look similar, especially when a hole is punched through the kanji and only leaves it partially readable.

Good luck with this...you have got most of the translation now (hopefully)...you just need to study, study...tell us what you find.

Regards,

I have been doing some snooping on this mei and I feel confident enough to run this finding past the members...I'd appreciate your comments here Chris.

I looked up Masakiyo in Ono 1971 p.138 and Ono 1977 p.117 and found that:

Kobayashi Masakiyo (personal name Masaharu) was a Tokushima (Shikoku) man born Meiji 44. In Sho 8 he went to Kyoto to study under Morita Masamichi. He got the name Masakiyo on his independence and he went in Sho 17 to work in swords in Tokushima and then later as RJT at Osaka Arsenal until 1945.

I think, having this info, I would feel confident to revise the reading of the mei on this kodzuka. I think it actually says:

Oite Kyoto tsukuru kore

Sanuki kuni Masakiyo (or more likely Masa haru...his pre-independent name).

As his personal name haru and his art name kiyo both have the same "aoe" right side radical, I speculate that this blade was made in Kyoto by Masaharu who came from Sanuki, a not yet independent student of Morita Masamichi (but maybe it is his first "independent" tanto signed Masakiyo).

If the members agree that this is a real possibility...then the blade must be made at Kyoto between Sho 8 and Sho 17 when Masakiyo was still the student Masaharu...I'd stick my neck out even further and say the apparent "simpleness" of the kanji script indicates he is new to cutting mei....of course as stated it could also be his earliest work as Masakiyo, but the date Sho 17 must still apply.

So, I'd like to hear your comments and yes...feel free to correct/condemn/burnt at the stake etc...but that's all part of the fun of nihonto ;) .

Peter,interesting little study you gave us...thanks!

Regards,

Seems reasonable George but it all hinges on whether or not the location is Kyoto 京都 and not Toto 東都.....I think we need a better photo of that part of the mei to know for sure. The picture above isn't the best to make a call with certainty....

Hi Chris,

yes the pic makes it hard (not to mention the bl**dy great hole in the middle).

Anyway, Peter...a nice find...If the maker can be confirmed as Kobayashi Masakiyo, RJT smith, and it looks like good work, it might be worthwhile getting this polished by a good polisher in Japan as WWII period tantos are rarely seen.

Just my opinion.

I don't know if this helps, but here is a 1981 work by Ittosai Masakiyo.

http://www.tokka.biz/sword/masakiyo.html

Regards,

Ok, I see. If it is definitely Tokyo then this ruins my theory.

About the province ...Sanuki/Kagawa and Awa/Tokushima are side by side on Shikoku. I thought these were close enough to be covered by the use of the word Sanuki....Although his working address is given in the sources as Tokushima, maybe (another theory) he was born next door in Sanuki?

Anyway Peter...Moriyama san has raised enough points to make some doubts about my theory...sorry, back to square one...damn good theory while it lasted! :roll:

Regards,

Don't despair Peter,

Knowledgeable folk have looked at your pics and have come to conflicting conclusions...this can be quite commom. Best thing you can do is take some better pics of blade, features and mei etc and post them...it may help.

I have two signed swords of the 1868-1945 modern period myself for which I can't ID the makers.

regards,

• 3 months later...

Hello again Gents im hoping to put on more picture of the Tanto so that it may make it better place its Smith and original home,

could it be late muromachi or Shinto? it is 30.2cm in nagasa, blade 21.5 so is this ko wakizashi or sunnobi tanto? the file marks are kesho yasuri. Hamon seems Notare Gonome, it looks nice like a mountain landscape, so maybe Toran, lots of activity. any and all additional input is apprieciated.

Peter

post-1679-14196852005525_thumb.jpg

post-1679-14196852007039_thumb.jpg

post-1679-14196852008791_thumb.jpg

post-1679-14196852012287_thumb.jpg

hi Adam,

not at all , Tanto is fine i was just reading up a little and wasn't sure how precise you need to be in terminology on tanto/wakazashi .as far as anything else on the Tanto could any one say if the details in it points to revealing the smith , as there where conflicting views earlier in the post, also school as i think the 'Toran ' hamon was favoured by the smiths of Osaka (settsu province)

many thanks,

Peter

.....Tanto is fine. I was just reading up a little and wasn't sure how precise you need to be in terminology on tanto/wakazashi.

As far as I know one SHAKU is 30.3 cm, so no sweat! It is a TANTO, and this may be a value related point. If it were 30,4 cm the official classification would then be WAKIZASHI which may make it less desirable for some collectors.

hello all

..I think we need a better photo of that part of the mei to know for sure. The picture above isn't the best to make a call with certainty....

Chris Bowen

I hope you can see a little more from these pics Chris and others

post-1679-14196852452616_thumb.jpg

post-1679-14196852454592_thumb.jpg

post-1679-14196852456198_thumb.jpg

post-1679-14196852457825_thumb.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..