Solid shikoro

estcrh

Eric, These are not unknown. Some have just one horizontal plate with 3 or 4 'mini gessan' attached by mail or lacing hanging below. This looks an old bowl with a much newer peak and shikoro. Don't like the fact that the legs of the rivets show on top.

Ian Bottomley

Ian thats interesting information, this is the first one I have seen, I was wondering about the rivet legs myself, not the usual Japanese workmanship, I was thinking it may have been done on purpose, maybe making it easy do do a quick change? Unless the work was done recently I can not imagine that replacing a shikoro would have been that hard to do or expensive.

Hi Geraint,

That is indeed the same one - I remember seeing it on the Yamabushi website awhile ago.

With reference to the solid and one piece shikoro, I have seen a few, including this one in the Barbier-Muller collection being exhibited in Quebec City. Here is a pic I took:

img0676yx.jpg

And here's a pic of a sumizukinnari that's been published:

sumizukurinfront.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..