Tin-Jingasa

Viper6924

Hi guys!

Here´s the first flat jingasa that entered my collection. If I´m not completely off, it´s made from tin. I remember reading somewhere that they came into use in the latter part of the EDO-period. Used by higher ranking samurais on there many trips to and from EDO as part of the sankin kotai-agreement. It has a nice burgundy base on the outside. And red mixed with goldflakes on the inside. That´s about what I know. Haven´t seen one "in hand" before. Perhaps some of this forums heavyweights have some further intel on this fruitplate :)

/Jan

post-2890-14196840160737_thumb.jpeg

post-2890-14196840181325_thumb.jpeg

post-2890-14196840201326_thumb.jpeg

post-2890-14196840206345_thumb.jpeg

Jan, That is a rather nice jingasa. Not tin but sheet iron. It would have been quite an expensive item when made. I still haven't worked out how it has been assembled. The usual way would have been to overlap the edges of each plate and rivet them together. Here they seem to have used a covering strip and used countersunk rivets instead. A nice item - well done.

Ian Bottomley

Thanks, Ian and Piers! My knowledge of flat jingasa in rather limited. But I´m learning :) I read that the use of gold on the inside of jingasas was regulated by Tokugawa-law so it was only allowed for daimyo and hatamoto. Also that the top peg (don´t know the clinical term) was copied from older kabutos as a way for high ranking samurais to stand out when wearing these flattops. And You had to ride very slowly on your horse while wearing it...

/Jan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..